Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pepsi Rant

The following is a response to an article my friend CJ sent me in an email regarding Pepsi's new image overhaul. Here are two articles about Pepsi's image campaign:
http://adage.com/article?article_id=132016
http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/pepsi_new_bottles.php
My rant makes references to the first article. So without further interruptions:

Ok, that logo looks like the bastard child of Pac-Man and Barack Obama's campaign logo. These execs were looking for a "quantum leap" in changing Pepsi's image, and I'm not seeing it. "By making the logo more dynamic and more alive ... [it is] absolutely a huge step in the right direction." I'm not sure what Frank Cooper's definition of dynamic is, but that word does not come to mind when looking at the new logo. "Derivative" seems more like the word. I look at that logo, and I'm imagining the creators trying to foresee a future where lower case rounded sans-serif fonts will replace more 20th century modern standard fonts (i.e. Helvetica, which is still EVERYWHERE by the way), and the feeling they're trying to convey with the logo is something similar to the future as told by the "I, Robot" movie that Will Smith was in. If that is the case, I think they looked too far into the future.

The previous Pepsi logos represented the era that they were in at the time, in terms of cultural relevance as well as the advertising trend of that particular time. This new logo seems to defect from the timeline as if it's trying to defy convention. Often times in advertisement that works, but I'm afraid that this might stray a little too far and alienate some people. In the article, Tony Spaeth says "It worries me that it is less durable, less permanent and classic. It comes across as more of a campaign idea than an enduring brand expression." I agree with what he is saying here. The new logo and accompanying typeface doesn't adequately represent Pepsi to me, and I'm sure others will agree. It almost feels as if they'd be changing the Pepsi flavor along with the logo, that's how much of a defection that logo feels to me from the current and previous logos. I hope they don't, I prefer Pepsi over Coke.

</rant>

Good rants like that don't come very often, so I thought this one was worth posting.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 17, 2008 at 8:57 PM , Blogger person on earth said...

Of COURSE they're ripping off the Obama logo. There's MONEY in it. And on top of that...it's just so generically appealing. Way too cultish for me. Is why I never jumped on the bandwagon til the parties on Election Night.

I don't understand this fascination with the lower case ad fonts lately. But it does give an open, laid back yet mature image. Even Mickey D's caught on to that.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 8:58 PM , Blogger person on earth said...

OH yeah, I don't fucks with soda anymore unless it's organic and/or has green tea in it. So of course I'm just postin to drop my two cents in ur bukkit

 
At February 26, 2009 at 7:00 PM , Blogger person on earth said...

OK, so months later, I'm actually going to post a coherent response.

Yes, I do agree. The Obamarama high our fellow countrypeople were on was more than the man himself. This mean a new era for humanity.

Pepsi responded to that enthusiasm, to the "hope" if you will, by creating a logo that evokes a feeling of calm and relaxation. Because of course, a new day has come. I doubt it, but it sure makes a good campaign.

I also agree that it seems like they were changing the flavor. The cans look like they're from a diet drink. I saw some real thugged out dude with one the other day, and it seemed odd to me. The can looked very feminine in contrast to his masculine presentation.

Maybe this is also a change...men getting in touch with their femininity...lol.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home